Monday, December 31, 2012

Athlete's Corner by Marie DeJournette


Back in the Saddle


Today I am officially done with my injury. I’m so over it. I’m still hyper aware of my ribs and they didn’t like surfing but they held up during yoga class last night so I figure I’m good to go. As I begin my training for a half Ironman in June I try to focus on proper nutrition that will keep my muscles strong for the duration. I’m so lucky to have Mana Foods at my fingertips. Here is a sample day of my training meals. Everything on the list can be found in Mana’s aisles.

Breakfast – Acai bowl

Sambazon acai packet (freezer), sliced banana (produce), salted cashews (bulk), Mana’s Grand Granola (bulk), coconut flakes (bulk)

Lunch – Salad with tuna

Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, carrot, beet, jicama, radish, red onion (all from produce), with Season brand albacore tuna thrown on top. This tuna is super convenient, comes in a pouch drained and ready to eat. It’s great for backpacking too.

Dinner – Gnocchi and veggies

Rising Moon Garlic and Basil Gnocchi (freezer) cooks up in 5 minutes. Roasted Brussels sprouts. I cut them in half, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and roast in my toaster oven until slightly browned.

For snacks during the day I’ll munch on carrot and celery sticks, olives, almonds or an apple. Occasionally I can’t resist one of the delicious cookies from Mana’s bakery but I try to steer clear of sugar as much as possible. I try to drink two liters of water during my work day. As my event gets closer and I ramp up training I will be eating MUCH larger meals with more protein powders and bars added in but that's for another post.

Happy New Year, and happy training to all you athletes out there, whether serious or just weekend warriors. It’s great to get outside and get moving on a comfortably full and happy belly!

1 comment:

  1. I have to confess, though I'm an athlete, I hit Mana Foods up for the amazing pizza when I worked in Paia! Or wait, was it a calzone? Hmm, now i'm confused. Been a couple years. I hope you're still in the same location and easy to find, I'll be going back this year to visit and will stop in and buy my old favorites. Still have Tabouli?

    ReplyDelete